Connect with us

International Sports

Missing Ugandan Olympic hopeful left note saying he wants to work in Japan

Published

on

Missing Ugandan Olympic hopeful left note saying he wants to work in Japan, GlitzEmpire

A Ugandan athlete who has gone missing in Tokyo ahead of the Olympic Games had left a note saying his life in the African country was too difficult and he wanted to work in Japan, officials have said.

Julius Ssekitoleko, a 20-year-old weightlifter, failed to qualify for the Games after his arrival in Japan, and was due to fly back to Uganda on July 20.

Advertisement

But he was last seen at a local station near his delegation’s hotel in Izumisano at 6:30 a.m. on Friday. The athlete purchased a Shinkansen bullet train ticket to Nagoya, about 200 kilometers away, an Izumisano official told CNN.

In the note, Ssekitoleko said he did not want to return to Uganda and asked the members of his delegation to send his belongings back to his wife, the Izumisano official Aadded.

City officials first feared he was missing around midday on Friday, when they noticed that a Covid-19 test sample had not been submitted by Ssekitoleko, city official Osamu Mizoguchi said.

Local police have been looking for him without success, Mizoguchi added.

Advertisement

Ssekitoleko competed in the Men’s 56kg weightlifting final at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, aged just 17. He finished 10th in that contest.

Two Ugandan athletes, and others from Rwanda and Cameroon, previously went missing during those games, which were held in Gold Coast, Australia, PA Media reported at the time.

And two rugby sevens players from Uganda, who went missing after competing in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, were later revealed to have claimed asylum and were playing for a rugby team in Cardiff, the BBC reported in 2015.

The Ugandan delegation was among the first teams to arrive in Japan for the delayed Tokyo Olympics. The team started training in the western Japanese city on July 7 after completing a mandatory quarantine.

Advertisement

On their arrival in late June, a member of the delegation was found to be positive for the Delta variant.

The opening ceremony of the Games is set for Friday, but events in the host city will not have spectators with Tokyo in a state of emergency over Covid-19.

Source: CNN

Advertisement

Source link

Follow Glitz Empire across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Share your views in the comments below Click & Join Our Telegram Channel

Glitz Empire is a leading entertainment news, lifestyle & Fashion news site. Get all the latest Breaking News & trending gossip on GlitzEmpire.com. We cover all latest news, entertainment, business, politics, Lifestyle, Buzz, Celebrities gossips, sports news from Ghana, Africa and the globe. For Advertisement & Booking: +233238556921

International Sports

Highest paid players in LaLiga revealed [Top 10]

Published

on

Highest paid players in LaLiga revealed [Top 10], GlitzEmpire

LaLiga Santander’s highest-paid players have been released with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid dominating the figures.

Gareth Bale of Real Madrid, Antoine Griezmann of Atletico Madrid, Eden Hazard and Karim Benzema made up the top four highest salary receivers in the LaLiga.

Speaking about the chat, Marca journalist, Jose Felix Diaz said, “On the tax issue, there is nothing to do.

Advertisement

“It is a state issue. In Spain, a tax improvement is not going to be considered.”

To give an example, a footballer plying his trade at Real Madrid must pay 45.50 percent of his salary in taxes, while this rate is set at 50 percent in Barcelona.

No LaLiga Santander player is earning more than Gareth Bale, with Antoine Griezmann coming second, followed by Eden Hazard.

Sergio Busquets is Barcelona’s highest-paid player, while Gerard Pique and Jordi Alba recently agreed to modify their salaries by accepting a pay cut.

Advertisement

, Highest paid players in LaLiga revealed [Top 10], GlitzEmpire

Highest paid players in LaLiga revealed [Top 10]

Source link

Follow Glitz Empire across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Share your views in the comments below Click & Join Our Telegram Channel

Advertisement
Continue Reading

International Sports

Nigeria vs Ghana: Very disgraceful – Akin Alabi slams Sunday Dare after Super Eagles defeat

Published

on

Nigeria vs Ghana: Very disgraceful – Akin Alabi slams Sunday Dare after Super Eagles defeat, GlitzEmpire

Nigerian politician, Oloye Akin Alabi, has hit out at Nigeria’s Minister of Youth and Sports, Sunday Dare, following the Super Eagles’ 2022 FIFA World Cup playoff defeat to the Black Stars of Ghana on Tuesday.

Akin Alabi described the country’s sports ministry under the leadership of Dare as ‘disgraceful’ after Ghana beat Nigeria to qualify for this year’s World Cup in Qatar.

He said the organization prior to Nigeria’s tie with Ghana shocked him.

Advertisement

Ghana had played a 0-0 draw against Nigeria in the first leg in Kumasi last week.

The Black Stars also drew 1-1 at the MKO Abiola Stadium in Abuja on Tuesday, to qualify for the World cup

The team won the match on the basis of the away goal rules following goals from Thomas Partey and William Troost-Ekong.

However, reacting to the development, Akin Alabi, in a tweet via his Twitter handle, @akinalabi, said: “I’ve seen my team lose many times and I accept it as part of the game. I was at the stadium today and the organization shocked me more than the result.

Advertisement

“The entire sports ministry, starting from Mr Sunday Dare absolutely bottled it. Disgraceful.”

, Nigeria vs Ghana: Very disgraceful – Akin Alabi slams Sunday Dare after Super Eagles defeat, GlitzEmpire

Nigeria vs Ghana: Very disgraceful – Akin Alabi slams Sunday Dare after Super Eagles defeat

Source link

Advertisement
Follow Glitz Empire across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Share your views in the comments below Click & Join Our Telegram Channel
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Breaking News

Trending